Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places—Ephesians 6:10-12
Well saints, some of you will not like this, but there are times you will have to fight the devil. Do you know how? Are you prepared? True, the Bible tells us we are to flee evil:
- We are to flee earthly passions
- Flee from sexual immorality (I Cor. 6:18)
- Flee from senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction and from the love of money which is the root of all kinds of evil (I Timothy 6:9-10)
- Flee from youthful passions (2 Timothy 2:22)
- Flee from temptation from but only in temptation as God will open a door for our escape (I Cor. 10:13)
But at all other times we are instructed to stand fast, to push back and not get weak kneed or faint-hearted, knowing our God is with us to fight;
- In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication—Ephesians 6:16-18
- Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you—James 4:7, 8
- Cast all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kind of sufferings are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world—I Peter 5:7-9
- And there is no resistance without struggle!
How do we fight the devil? Through prayer and the Word of God
We cannot fight him with the weapons of the flesh; these will not work on him, in fact they very seldom work on humans let alone the forces of darkness! Read what Paul says about the mighty weapons God has provided for us to fight against Satan and his mighty army:
For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, ad take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete –2 Corinthians 10:4-6
The weapons of prayer in spiritual warfare are:
Obedience, the Holy Spirit, the truth of God’s Word, Faith, Endurance, Perseverance in Prayer, Patience, Hope and Trust
These will help us see victory every time. When we enter into prayer and ask God, it is not a matter of if God will hear or answer our prayer: for God always hears and always answers our prayers. It is a matter of waiting until we see that answer manifested in our life or in the life of the one for whom we pray.
The Book of Daniel is a perfect example of the battles that go on in the unseen spiritual realm while prayer is being answered on our behalf. Read Daniel, chapters 9 and 10 to see how God sends the angel Gabriel to Daniel during such a battle so Daniel would be reassured and continue to pray in confidence. At the conclusion of chapter 10 the angel Gabriel tells Daniel;
But I will tell you what is inscribed in the book of truth: there is none who contends by my side against these except Michael, your prince (Dan. 10:21)
Here is a truth about the devil: He does not operate in ways we can understand, only God. and the only way we can be prepared for him is to do what God tells us (in His Word), to stand complete in His armor, indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and in complete obedience to Him. We cannot stand against the wiles and schemes of the devil by our wits, only by the strategies of God found in his Word!
Standing and operating in this truth will cause you to be an effectual intercessor for the Lord and a formidable enemy of the devil! If you take your stand in prayer based on this truth, using all the weapons of prayer as aforementioned you will see victory through prayer, darkness shattered, and strongholds broken in the lives of those you pray for.